So, you’ve decided to take a trip to Zanzibar, situated off the coast of Tanzania. Zanzibar is an archipelago of multiple islands, the biggest two being Pemba and Unguja. We think it’s a beautiful paradise that could compete with many international destinations, yet is a bit more affordable due to its location in East Africa.
You might not know that Zanzibar is also known as the ‘Spice islands’ due to its black pepper, cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves. You can imagine that you’ll find the delectable smells of these fragrant spices while visiting the island!
However, you may already know that you want to explore the deep history of the islands on your next trip.
But what would be the best way to fill your time? How can you strike the perfect balance between relaxation and engaging with your beautiful surroundings?
You’re in luck because we’ll discuss the top Zanzibar day trips and things to do in Zanzibar for your next holiday!
Day Trips from Zanzibar
If you’re spending a few days in Zanzibar, why not schedule in a few of the below Zanzibar day trips?
Visit Jozani Forest National Park
Jozani Chwaka Bay National Park is the only park in Zanzibar. It is also the largest area of near-natural forest in Zanzibar, and the forest rests on a reef limestone.
How would you like to visit the park while going for a swim with dolphins at the same time? Maybe you would prefer a more relaxed zoo trip, including swimming with less-scary turtles? There is a reason that this location is one the best for Zanzibar day tours, after all!
If you don’t want to get wet at all, you might enjoy a half day tour of the park or perhaps even a private guided tour of the park. After all, this is one of the best family friendly Zanzibar day trips you will find.
Whether you want to get near the animals or not, there’s a lot of diversity at the park. You’ll be able to find groundwater forest, coastal forest, grassland, and a salt marsh on the coast all in the same place.
If that wasn’t enough, the unique endangered animals you will discover in the area are the Zanzibar red colobus monkey, the Aders’ duiker, and the Zanzibar servaline genet. These are all native to Zanzibar and can’t be found anywhere else on the planet.
Visit Stone Town
Stone Town is in the old part of Zanzibar city, the central city on the west coast of Unguja island. This historic city was a flourishing location for the spice trade. It remained an important historical and artistic site in East Africa.
You’ll find diverse architecture with influences from Persia, India, and European design, which have given rise to Swahili culture. Stone Town is also a recognized UNESCO heritage site as of 2000.
There are many things to do in Stone Town, and it offers many Zanzibar day trips, including:
- Enjoying a Historical Stone Town walking tour with traditional lunch
- Are you someone who gets hungry often? Perhaps you are a self-proclaimed ‘foodie’. If so, you’d love Stone Town’s food markets and Street Food Walking Tour.
- Go on an epic spice tour of Zanzibar, you won’t regret it!
- Want something romantic? You’d love a traditional dhow sunset cruise.
- See the local agriculture with a Stone Town spice farm tour.
- Go on a dhow sailing tour with a BBQ meal included for your enjoyment!
- Suppose you want some exciting nightlife when on holiday. You should go on a night tour that includes impressive live performances.
Enjoy water sports and activities
Zanzibar is one of the best places in the world to visit for water sports and activities. You’ll find plenty of things to do in Zanzibar, including a private snorkelling tour that includes swimming with dolphins.
If you prefer scuba diving, a great introductory scuba dive on Tumbatu Island will show you the ropes. Other great scuba diving activities are Mnemba scuba diving and a more extreme Kendwa 3-day open diving course.
Do you feel like you need a super adrenaline kick when you’re in Zanzibar? You would be the perfect fit for a parasailing boat trip with a flight instructor.
Some visitors might prefer to stay above sea level. If this is true for you, you’d love some of the Zanzibar boat trips. One of the top trips is the ethical dolphin tour, complete with an island picnic – we promise you won’t need to swim underwater!
Similarly, you’d love a full-day cruise of Zanzibar, where you’ll go from the Fumba fishing village to the Menai Bay conservation area.
Finally, another one of the best Zanzibar boat trips is the tour to Changuu island.
Other Zanzibar Day Trips
Don’t feel like spending time in the water or going to the national park? There are plenty of other Zanzibar day trips available that we think you’ll love, such as:
- Enjoy Zanzibar day tours to Prison Island, including Lunch on the Sandbank.
- Want more privacy? You can have private Zanzibar tours to Prison Island.
- Were you feeling adventurous? You’d love the Nungwi Buggy Tour, or if you’re after something a little more exciting for your Zanzibar tours, how about a Quad Bike tour to the local village.
- Want something a bit different? Why not go on a cave tour with lunch afterwards?
- Explore a tour of Nungwi village with free lunch provided, with an optional sunset cruise for your enjoyment. This tour is one of the most social Zanzibar tours you could imagine!
Regardless of which of the Zanzibar day trips you choose, we’re sure there’s something you will enjoy when you arrive on your chosen island.
Summary of the best Zanzibar day trips
There are many fun things to do in Zanzibar, from Zanzibar boat trips to Zanzibar tours of the historical city and even private tours of specific places like the Jozani Forest National Park or Prison Island.
Regardless of what your dream holiday activity is like, we’re sure there are many Zanzibar day trips that will suit your personality.
We hope we have helped you discover more things to do in Zanzibar, whether you’re after exclusive Zanzibar trips, water-themed Zanzibar tours or relaxing Zanzibar boat trips, we know you’ll have an amazing time.